January 1st, 2011 will represent the 60th anniversary of the Radio 4 tale of ordinary farming folk, The Archers.
In the best traditions of milestone soap opera anniversaries, the script writers are promising something extra special and extra explosive for the feature double-length episode on January 2nd. For a bit of fun, here are my predictions as to what the options for that explosive episode might be, based on the storylines that have been developing over the last week or two:
- The crims who are rustling hay come round and torch the barn at Brookfield, with somebody inside it – it’ll be just like Grace all over again
- Helen will have a miscarriage as a result of her over-exertions and ignoring the advice of the medical professionals
- Pip takes her driving test before she’s ready to and ends up crashing the car big-style
- Phoebe steals a wad of cash, runs away and gets a plane to South Africa to join Kate
- Joe Grundy, enjoying his new found pastry chef skills developed whilst Clarrie has been laid up with her broken wrist gets overconfident has a terrible baking accident involving Bartleby and the cider shed.